Latest News

Creepers go mainstream

You might have noticed that my style isn’t really affected by trends. I’m open to pretty much anything but at the end of the day I like what I like and only choose those trends that go with my personality.

But now and again there’s a trend or two that really insinuates into my head. It’s usually the weird ones. Right now I’m a bit obsessed with creepers! Damn you, Prada! You have revived the creepers giving them a new face.
The new creeper is the love child of Malcolm McLaren&Vivienne Westwood variants sold in the early 70’s in their shop "Let it Rock" and the preppy, colorful oxfords. We also have dark, sexier variants that are equally appealing to me.

I've made some collages with some pairs I like and could find online! 

Viewed by many as really ugly and weird, creepers (also known as Brothel Creepers) were mostly worn as an underground style staple by rockers and pinball psychobillies. This type of shoe first appeared right after the second WW when the soldiers based in the North African desert during the war began wearing the iconic crepe soled shoes in the London night clubs.
In the late 50’s they were worn by Teddy Boys and beginning in the 70’s they were being sold on London's Kings Road.

 The circuit of shoes in fashion:))))) 
Burberry Creeper fall 2011 - 905$ (sold out),  Jeffrey Campbell Wright - 150$, ALDO Roder Wedge Tassle Lace Shoe - 99$ (on sale from 196$ on ASOS), Heavy-bottomed Leather Waterproof High-heels Boots - 102$

They resurfaced in a big way when Prada introduced their 2011 spring/summer collection. Since then every major and minor high street brand has created different variants of creepers, many of them looking great. Street style everywhere featured them in really cool outfits.

Prada “Creeper” Shoes

While I really like some of them a lot, I can’t help but think they won’t survive mainstream for long, creepers will always be the mark of a few subculture movements (ska, punk, new wavers, psychobilly, greasers, goth, Japanese Visual Kei).
I actually think that’s great. Mianstream has this power of pretty much ruinning things!

LOVE or HATE them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tattoo Mbooyz Designed by Mbooyz Template Copyright © 2015

Theme images by Bim. Powered by Blogger.